A Note From Sarah (August 2017)

If you are looking for new content, please go to and subscribe to my new blog: One Strength. One Chance. One Mighty Counselor.
Please join me in my new blogging adventure!

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Don’t Shatter God’s Gifts


Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. – James 1:17


We all have those gifts in our lives that are more important to us than any material object could ever be – a family member, best friend, good health, job or place.


I could name multiple gifts in my life that were given to me by my Heavenly Father…relationships, family, a place to call home, a summer job…but more often than I would like to admit, I take these gifts for granted, forgetting to thank Him for giving me so many special gifts that I am far from deserving. And even at points, I break these gifts. I get angry at a friend, wish I had a different job, or get jealous of someone else’s home. They begin to fall apart, and yes, sometimes even shatter.


But after realizing what I have done, God, with His oh so great mercy and faithfulness, peacefully puts the gifts back together. He makes them new again. He restores my relationship with my friend, gives me hope and patience at my job, and helps me to be extremely grateful for my home. He fixes them up so that I don’t ever want to break them again.


And even though we ought to break our gifts from time to time…we may doubt, we may get jealous, we may get angry…God will always put them back together.


But with God on our side, let’s try the best we can to keep God’s gifts He has given to us from shattering in the first place.


FIRST: From Ephesians 6:13-17: Put on the “full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground.” When doubts begin to fill your mind, put on the “belt of truth” and the “helmet of salvation”, to remind you of what God’s Word says – that His gifts are precious and perfect, and He will make all things new. When things begin to get shaky in your relationship, take up the “shield of faith”, in which you can fend off all temptations. And when you just feel overwhelmed at your job, don’t forget to put the “gospel of peace” in your back pocket.


SECOND: Don’t let sin creep in and tear you away from keeping God at the center of your interactions with you special gifts. Do not become proud or boastful, jealous or rude. Pray that God is at the center of your family, relationships, job, home, and all the special gifts in your life.



THIRD: PRAISE HIM every single day for the special gifts only He could give you. Give thanks always. 

No comments:

Post a Comment