A Note From Sarah (August 2017)

If you are looking for new content, please go to and subscribe to my new blog: One Strength. One Chance. One Mighty Counselor.
Please join me in my new blogging adventure!

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Knowledge vs. Trust

Post #9 of Sarah’s Post-It Note Inspirations Blog Series



So, you are probably a little confused by what you see written on the post-it note above, but there is a backstory that goes along with it that I find relevant to this theme of knowledge vs. trust, so bear with me for a bit as I explain the story.

I am part of a student organization called Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) at my university. I joined this organization because although I am majoring in marketing in the business school, I have become more interested in communications and public relations and how these fields integrate with the marketing field. I really enjoy being a part of this organization because I can gain exposure and learn from professionals and other students about these different fields that I am not able to take as many courses in (Although I am getting a minor in Mass Communication, I am still not able to take as many classes that Strategic Communication majors are able to take).

One day during one of our meetings, we were briefly going over how to write press releases, and then practicing writing them. Now, I have never written a press release, and just learned what they were not too long ago. So, when it got to practicing, it seemed like everyone knew what they were doing and have already written at least one in the past for one of their classes, except me. I found myself getting discouraged because I felt very behind and lacking knowledge. Press releases are traditionally one of the foundations and most basic parts of the public relations sector. I thought to myself, “what am I doing trying to go into this field if I don’t even know how to do the most basic part of it?”

This story may seem a little silly (and looking back on it, I do find it silly myself), but at the time, I was feeling stressed and not knowing how to write a press release was really bothering me. You are probably thinking, “well that’s not a big deal, just learn it.” And yes, you are right, and that is exactly what I am going to do. But I shared this story because at the time, I really thought I didn’t even deserve to be considering the public relations field. I was putting all my hope into knowledge, instead of trusting and having faith that I could still do it. This experience taught me some important lessons, one of them being as simple as: Just because you don’t know how to write a press release doesn’t mean you can’t go into the public relations field. Even more important, and the lesson I am going to talk a little bit more about for the rest of this post is: The knowledge you have doesn’t define your worth. Seek wisdom and trust from God over knowledge of this world. 


Trust Him over your own knowledge.

There is so much to learn in this world, it’s amazing. I love learning, and want to be learning for my entire life. And I encourage everyone to do this, to be “lifelong learners.” However, I do think that we should trust God over our own knowledge. We can gain as much knowledge from this world as we want, but if we don’t trust God in what we are doing or learning, we aren’t really gaining anything at all. Proverbs 1:7 says, the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge. God is first in our lives, before anything of this world, and knowledge begins with Him, which brings me to my next point…


Remember that wisdom ultimately comes from Him.

For the Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding. – Proverbs 2:6

If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. – James 1:5


No matter what kind of knowledge we seem to be lacking, whether it is as simple as not being able to write a press release, or more complex like our direction in life, we can ask God for His wisdom and guidance, and trust Him over our own knowledge.



No comments:

Post a Comment