A Note From Sarah (August 2017)

If you are looking for new content, please go to and subscribe to my new blog: One Strength. One Chance. One Mighty Counselor.
Please join me in my new blogging adventure!

Monday, September 5, 2016

Dependence

Post #2 of Sarah’s Post-It Note Inspirations Blog Series




I heard this phrase talked about at this past Sunday’s church sermon, and it hit me right away. As I thought about it more, I processed it in three different ways. I hope my thoughts about this topic touch you in a special way today. Thank you for reading!



Today, Labor Day

According to http://www.history.com/topics/holidays/labor-day, Labor Day was established as a federal holiday in 1894 as a way to pay tribute to the contributions of American workers. It also represents the end of summer, and for students in particular, the start of back-to-school. For many of us, it is a day off of work to relax and enjoy a barbecue or two, but at the same time finally face the reality that summer is really over and school is going to kick into full swing very soon.

The concept of Labor Day is right in the name, “labor.” Labor is an interesting concept because it has both good and a bad connotations. God created for us to work to further His kingdom, but I believe He doesn’t want work to consume our lives, or leave us joyless. Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters (Colossians 3:23). Work is a good thing, God created jobs just like He created everything else, for our benefit and more importantly, for His glory. But I also think it is important to take a step back, to take a day off, and ask ourselves these questions: Who are we really working for? Am I depending on my own efforts in my work, or on God?



Volleyball

I will always and forever be a volleyball player, even if I am just playing recreationally at this point in my life. Volleyball is something that is important to me, and something that will always make up a part of me and my past. When I thought more about this concept of dependence, I thought about volleyball and how you have to trust in your teammates to get the job done. As a setter, I needed to trust the passers to get the ball to me, and then after I had done my job, I needed to trust the hitters to put the ball away. Volleyball, like other team sports, is a sport where how you function and work together as a team is more important than your individual ability. You need to trust your teammates, depend on them. Sometimes, your teammates will let you down or you will let your teammates down, but good teams keep trusting, depending and encouraging one another no matter what. Are you trusting God, the ultimate teammate, the teammate that will never let you down?



Beginning of school

To tie it all together, the last thing I thought about when I thought about this concept of dependence was the beginning of a new school year. I am going into my junior of college, and I still feel as nervous and excited as I did my freshman year. Although I have done this before, this year will be different with new classes, relationships, and experiences. I want to put my best effort into everything I do, work with passion, and live with purpose. But no matter what I do, I want to remember this concept of dependence in Him and Him alone. Other people may fail me, at times I may feel like I have failed myself, but God will never fail me. His ways are stronger than my own efforts, and I know I can always depend on Him.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment