A Note From Sarah (August 2017)

If you are looking for new content, please go to and subscribe to my new blog: One Strength. One Chance. One Mighty Counselor.
Please join me in my new blogging adventure!

Monday, January 11, 2016

Why have “God time”?


Mornings are my jam, most of the time that is. All it takes is the final decision of – “alright, it’s time,” and then I am out of bed and getting ready as fast as I can to get to that morning cup of coffee.


With my coffee in hand, I pull out my journal (if you know me, you know just how much I love my journals), and Bible and I am set, ready to start the day just the way I like it. This routine is what I like to call my “quiet time” or “God time,” and sometimes it is the favorite part of my day.


It makes me feel good – having time to write down my prayers to God and putting my nose in my little blue backpack Bible.


But hold on. God time is not supposed to be about making me feel good or accomplished, but it is supposed to be all about God. It is about glorifying His name through my time. The prayers I write aren’t supposed to be just a way to get a worry or a frustration off my chest, but it is supposed to be a way of communicating with Him. In 1 Thessalonians 5:17, we are called to “pray without ceasing.” Think about a relationship you have in your life. Think about how important communication is in that relationship. Communication, simply talking with one another, is how we grow in relationship with others, and this is also how we are called to grow in relationship with God.


And the words of the Bible shouldn’t just make me feel good inside, but they should transform my thoughts and actions throughout the day. Obeying His laws give us joy, and trusting in Him give us hope. The Bible, the true Word of God, brings us so many good things. It teaches us, it surrounds us, it engulfs us in His love, and it serves as a lamp that shows us the way (Psalm 119:105).


So “God time” is not just about “feeling good” afterwards, but it is for all these benefits which ultimately lead back to glorifying Him.





No comments:

Post a Comment