A Note From Sarah (August 2017)

If you are looking for new content, please go to and subscribe to my new blog: One Strength. One Chance. One Mighty Counselor.
Please join me in my new blogging adventure!

Saturday, April 11, 2015

The tangled sin of doubt

          Doubting your supporters

                    Doubting yourself

                              And ultimately, doubting God’s strength and power


Do not offer any part of yourself to sin as an instrument of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer every part of yourself to him as an instrument of righteousness. ~Romans 6:13


What sin is holding you back from fully glorifying God?

For me, it’s a simple, yet very tangled sin – doubt. I know that doubt is bad, I know that there is no reason for it, but why do I continue to let it creep into my life and hold me back?

Why do I always blame myself if something goes wrong?

Why do I think that I am not “enough?”

Why do I beat myself up for having a hard time with something that everyone else seems to be doing fine with?

Why do I worry about what God has in store for me?


The answer: Because I am imperfect. As children of God, we are perfectly made in His image and likeness, but at the same time, we are humans, we are sinners, we are not perfect.


The good news that overcomes the bad: The good news is all over the place in the Bible, check out Romans Chapter 6 for some pretty sweet verses on how sin has been overcome because of what Christ Jesus has done. It is hard to wrap our heads around it, but the truth is that we have died with Jesus so that we may be set free and live with him forever. We have been reborn.


We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? Or don’t you know that all of us were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life. ~Romans 6: 2-5


So what’s the solution? I don’t really know if there is a clear-cut solution for overcoming doubt, but I do know that God wants us to lay down all our sins, even our doubt, before Him. He wants us to truly be free from sin so that we may focus on living a life glorifying Him.


Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. ~Hebrews 12:1




Heavenly Father, thank you for creating us in your image, and as human beings that need to rely and trust in You. Thank you for sending your Son to die on the cross so that we may be free from sin. Help us to live a life that glorifies Your name. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment