A Note From Sarah (August 2017)

If you are looking for new content, please go to and subscribe to my new blog: One Strength. One Chance. One Mighty Counselor.
Please join me in my new blogging adventure!

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The Power of Words  



How do you show others that you are a Christ follower, a Christian that is living your life for God?


Through words and actions! Actions are extremely important when it comes to displaying your faith to others, but for right now, I am just going to focus on the power of words.


As a Christian, I desire to stick out from the secular world. I want to radiate God and for others to see me and say “there is something different about her.” I can do this through the words I say. I am not just talking about not swearing because that isn’t all that hard to do if you set your mind to it. I am talking about just the day to day comments that come out of your mouth that aren’t building yourself or others up. Words and phrases that maybe blend in with the crowd, but don’t make you stand out as a Christian and as a God follower.


I get it, calling your sister names or talking back to your parents is hard to avoid when you are in the heat of the moment. I also often find myself going along with and joining in on un-Godly conversations with a group of friends, not even realizing the comments coming out of my mouth. Life gives us plenty of opportunities to use words that don’t point to God.


In the song titled “Words” by Hawk Nelson he exclaims:
Let my words be life
Let my words be truth
I don’t want to say a word
Unless it points the world back to You


These lyrics motivate me to make every word coming out of my mouth praise and worship to Christ. They should motivate us to use our words to help and encourage others, not to hurt them, only to bringing ourselves up.


I challenge you, with God’s help, to make every word that comes out of your mouth point to God. To not blend in with the secular world, but to make your words noticeably different.


A little hesitant on how to make your words display God? Reflect on these two verses of God’s teachings for encouragement:


Colossians 4:6
“Let the words you speak be full of grace. Learn how to make your words what people want to hear. Then you will know how to answer everyone.”

Ephesians 4:29
“Don’t let any evil talk come out of your mouths. Say only what will help to build others up and meet their needs. Then what you say will help those who listen.”


Prayer:
Heavenly Father, help us to make the words we say be songs of praise and worship to you. Help us to use our words to build others up, not to knock them down. We adore you and we love you, forever and ever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment