A Note From Sarah (August 2017)

If you are looking for new content, please go to and subscribe to my new blog: One Strength. One Chance. One Mighty Counselor.
Please join me in my new blogging adventure!

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Tell Someone They Are Beautiful…


“in my eyes, other’s eyes, and most importantly, God’s eyes.”
Have you ever felt just plain out ugly?

Maybe it is a certain physical feature that you don’t like about yourself or a reoccurring, sinful habit that you just can’t seem to get rid of. Maybe you did something to hurt someone else and you just feel terrible and disgusting inside. You just feel ugly.

I have felt this many times. And even when people have told me – “Sarah, cut it out, you are so pretty” or “Sarah, you are wonderfully made and God has forgiven you of your sins” – I still have a hard time listening and believing them. My boyfriend will tell me I am beautiful, sometimes my best friend will randomly text me it too, and I still don’t believe it. Often times I shoot down the compliments and the truth.

This post is all about telling another person they are beautiful, because it is the truth. I pray that it encourages you to give someone this compliment and to even remind yourself that you are beautiful. I also pray that I am able to take my own advice when it comes to truly accepting compliments.

Telling someone they are beautiful is a two way street – giving the compliment, and the hardest part (for me at least), receiving the compliment.


Giving the compliment
"Hey, you are beautiful.” That sounds kind of weird doesn’t it? How exactly do you go about telling someone they are beautiful and why should you do it?

Well first off, telling someone they are “fearfully and wonderfully made” can take away the ugliness they feel inside. It can allow them to forget all the things they don’t like about themselves and help them remember that they are perfect in God’s eyes. It will make them feel good, and don’t you want to do that for someone?

And as far as going about telling someone they are beautiful, I say just go for it. There is no right way of going about it, just say it and if they need more explanation and still don’t understand what you are trying to say, show them some scripture and explain to them that we are beautiful because we are created by God and made in his likeness.

Psalms 139:14   I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.

Genesis 1:26 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created them; male and female He created them.

1 Peter 3:4 but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious.

Ephesians 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.


Receiving the compliment
If someone says you are beautiful, don’t shove the compliment away. (This is the part where those of you that know me will be screaming “Sarah take you own advice!”)

So yes, I have to admit, I usually shove it away. I say “stop no I am not” or I will make up excuses to downgrade the compliment. But this is no good.

You have to accept the compliment because it is true. You are beautiful.

So accept it, say thank you, and maybe even return it. But for sure pass it on, because our world could always use more compliments going around.



God bless and you are all beautiful :)


Written by Sarah Hess

No comments:

Post a Comment