A Note From Sarah (August 2017)

If you are looking for new content, please go to and subscribe to my new blog: One Strength. One Chance. One Mighty Counselor.
Please join me in my new blogging adventure!

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

The worst is actually the best. The best can sometimes be the worst.

          The attributes of God’s greatest gifts


How does this make sense? How can the worst thing in my life also be the best? I think with a little explanation, you will understand what I am trying to say, and I hope that you also find connections to this odd contradiction in your own life.


The greatest harm,
               But the best rewards.
The hardest times,
               But the best miracles.
The loudest cries,
               But the biggest smiles.


Family
               Work
                              School
                                             Relationships


These things can bring me to tears of hurt and frustration, yet at the same time, leave me thanking God for giving them to me, for I could not live this wonderful life without them.


These things in life that cause us both sadness and happiness, pain and pure joy are exactly this – God’s greatest blessings. But how can a gift so brilliant also cause so much hurt?


Well, there are many things in the Bible that contradict like this. For example…


When I am weak, I am strong

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. ~ 2 Corinthians 12:9-11

The contradiction here is: “For when I am weak, then I am strong.” Explained in these verses, during times of weakness, the power of the Holy Spirit rests in us, giving us the strength and the courage to overcome any difficulty. Times of weakness give God’s true power the opportunity to be displayed in a magnificent way.


There is a time for everything

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:

               A time to be born and a time to die,
               A time to plant and a time to uproot,
               A time to kill and a time to heal,
               A time to tear down and a time to build,
               A time to weep and a time to laugh,
               A time to mourn and a time to dance,
               A time to scatter stones and time to gather them,
               A time to embrace and time to refrain from embracing,
               A time to search and a time to give up,
               A time to keep and a time to throw away,
               A time to tear and a time to mend,
               A time to be silent and a time to speak,
               A time to love and a time to hate,
               A time for war and a time for peace.
                              ~ Ecclesiastes 3: 1-9

I really like these verses in Ecclesiastes, my favorite being “A time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance.” These verses help us to understand that 1) there is a time for everything and 2) what God has given us, the world around us, can cause us to both “weep” and “laugh”, “mourn” and “dance.”



So yes, it just so could be that God’s greatest gifts are those that sometimes cause us great pain, but at other times great joy. With that, when something is causing us pain, let us try and remember that His power is made strong in our weakness, and that the very thing causing us pain could be one of God’s greatest blessings.








No comments:

Post a Comment