A Note From Sarah (August 2017)

If you are looking for new content, please go to and subscribe to my new blog: One Strength. One Chance. One Mighty Counselor.
Please join me in my new blogging adventure!

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Spiritual Fuel

Running the race God has put in front of us



Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. – Hebrews 12:1


Before a big race, what do runners need? – A good breakfast and a good night’s rest. In other words, they need fuel.


If we want to glorify God every day, to run the race He has set in front of us, we also need fuel.


And the best kind of fuel is spiritual fuel. And how do we fill our tanks with spiritual fuel? – By reading God’s word.


If we fill our minds with Scripture, we will also be able to speak and act out Scripture. You know the saying: Put good in, get good out.


All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness. – 2 Timothy 3:16


I often find myself recognizing when I don’t have enough spiritual fuel to last through the day. It gets to be towards the end of the day and my attitudes towards others are less loving, and my thoughts are more focused on myself instead of the needs around me. I start to find my comfort in those things that are earthly instead of focusing on eternity. I especially notice these attitudes and thoughts to be escalated when I don’t have any spiritual fuel in my tank. I found that as I grow in my faith, I want and need spiritual fuel in the morning when I wake up in order to have a good day, a day where I feel I am living to glorify Him. Maybe you feel this way too.


And it doesn’t just have to be in the morning. It can be listening to uplifting songs in the car radio, or reading an article online at lunch time. You could also fill your tank by doing good deeds for those around you – complementing a co-worker or sticking a post-it note with an encouraging message on a neighbor’s door.



Lord, thank you for creating us in Your image and for all the opportunities You give us every day to glorify You. Help us to fuel up with spiritual fuel by reading Scripture and praying to You every day. Help us not to get caught up in earthly things, but be focused on eternity. Thank you for Your sacrifice so that we may live. In Jesus’ name, Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment