A Note From Sarah (August 2017)

If you are looking for new content, please go to and subscribe to my new blog: One Strength. One Chance. One Mighty Counselor.
Please join me in my new blogging adventure!

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Why Am I Here?



First week of classes, here it goes. I am jumping right in, actual college is beginning. Welcome Week activities are done, no more get to know icebreakers or forced friendships. Time to start building relationships with people that are like me, that share the same values and interests. Time to start cracking down and studying like a college student. Finally time to get into a routine.


Why am I not ecstatic, jumping off the walls excited?


This is what I have been waiting for. Ever since the end of senior year. College is finally beginning, it is finally here.


And yet, I feel like I don’t belong, like this isn’t my home.


Why do I keep questioning, why do I keep asking – Why am I here again?




I have realized I am asking myself this question because the answer is different than it has been in the past.


Past Sarah:
Why are you going to college, Sarah?
To get a good education and a business degree.
To become one step closer to landing my dream job.
To be independent and learn how to live in the “real world.”
To make my family proud.
To have fun and make lasting friendships and memories – College is supposed to be the best four years of your life you know.


My answer to this question is no longer any of the above. I now have one sole reason – to serve and show God – but I am still figuring out the details to what this actually means.



Ever since I got here, I have been questioning where I fit in, what I can do to be a light to others, and finally, why I am here. Maybe you feel the same way.


The only way to find comfort in these questions is to go to God, through Scripture and prayer. I am going to briefly outline both of these methods for all three components, hoping that this outline serves as a catalyst to your own further conversations with our Lord.




Where do I fit in?


I have realized that it is silly to worry about what friends you will have or what groups you will be in. God will lead you to these. His goal is not to get you what you want, but it is to get you what you need. God will give you the sense of belonging and home that you need.


The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. – Deuteronomy 31:8


But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. – John 16:13


The Lord makes firm the steps of the one who delights in him. – Psalm 37:23
Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.” – Isaiah 30:21


Prayer: Heavenly Father, help me to follow you and to trust you. To trust that you will make something beautiful out of me. To know that with my full trust in you, I will follow the divine plan you have laid out for me.



What can I do to be a light to others?


You don’t have to like everyone, you just have to love everyone.


Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. – 1 John 4:7


By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another. – John 13:35


Be different, don’t follow the crowd. If you know something is wrong, don’t do it.


Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong. When you give testimony in a lawsuit, do not pervert justice by siding with the crowd.


Prayer: Heavenly Father, help me to love everyone just like you do. Give me the strength to stand up for my faith and do what is right in all circumstances. I want to show you in everything I do and say.


Why am I here?


If it wasn’t part of God’s plan, then you wouldn’t be where you are standing right now.


The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps. – Proverbs 16:9


For we are his handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. – Ephesians 2:10


Prayer: Heavenly Father, help me to completely surrender to your plan and to focus on serving you where you have placed me right now. You are the driver of my life, you are in control. 



So I shouldn’t be worried about the fact that I am not overly excited for college, that I am questioning what God wants me doing here. I need to focus on serving Him right this very moment, and TRUST.




And finally, here is a final verse and song that serve as good reminders on what God wants us to work for and what He created us to do on this earth.


“Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you.” – John 6:27


“What We’re Here For” – The Afters

When we feel useless, You still use us.


Listen, pray, enjoy. Live your life for HIM. 



No comments:

Post a Comment